Monday, January 5, 2009

A new day, a new place

This is the beginning of my adventure. I arrived yesterday afternoon at 8:30 am, two hours after I was supposed to. I felt bad because that meant my driver waited for 2 hours. All in all, I was glad I paid for a driver rather than attempt to get a taxi, just because things were hectic enough. I had my orientation with ISA and met my host mom, Majorie, who is quite lovely. She's an awesome cook too! It was relieving to know she is bilingual too, especially for a beginning Spanish speaker, she is able to translate for me so I can understand better. I'm already picking stuff up so in due time I'll be able to speak some Spanish phrases.

Costa Rica is gorgeous, I can't wait to get out of the city though. You can see the mountains and volcanoes from Veritas, the university I'm taking classes at and I want to explore outside the city so badly. We have an excursion to Manuel Antonio this weekend and I hear it's gorgeous.

I feel like I have to do a reality check every second I'm here. I woke up and reminded myself I was in Costa Rica as my host mom was waking me up in Spanish. Even though it was a little hard to leave and even more so now that I'm here, I know once I get going and accustomed to life here, I'm going to love it.

The weather is fantastic, it's been a combination of warm and sunny to rainy and a little chilly. I woke up to the sound of rain early this morning and was soothed quickly back to sleep. I love the sound of rain. Life couldn't be better at the moment, now if I can just get to learning some Spanish so I don't feel completely clueless. Tomorrow we start classes bright and early, so I guess you can't go wrong with 4 hours of Spanish 5 days a week. I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment